Skip to content

Author Archives: Richard Adhikari

Galaxy S II Whirls Into US

Samsung Telecommunications America has announced it will launch its latest Android smartphone, the Galaxy S II, on AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile in the U.S. this fall. The device apparently has won consumers’ hearts and minds, with 5 million units having been snapped up in 85 days in Europe and Korea, Samsung claims.

Continue Reading: Galaxy S II Whirls Into US →

The Apache Web Server’s Not-So-Secret Weakness

If you thought the hacks by Anonymous and AntiSec were bad, boy, are you in for a revelation. This past week brings news that the Apache Web server — the one that powers the majority of the Internet and most websites — has a vulnerability that can be exploited with relatively little effort.

Continue Reading: The Apache Web Server’s Not-So-Secret Weakness →

HP’s Tablet Failure: Big Fun for FOSS Fanatics

There may be life yet for the seemingly defunct HP TouchPad. The company has discontinued its development of all webOS devices, leading retailers to drastically mark down prices on the TouchPads they have in stock. Some buyers have been able to score one for as little as $100 — that’s $400 off the initial asking price when the device entered the market a couple of months ago.

Continue Reading: HP’s Tablet Failure: Big Fun for FOSS Fanatics →

The Plight of the Android App Wallflowers

Android device users spend more time on their apps than on the mobile Web, and the top 10 apps account for 43 percent of that time, according to Nielsen. When the top 50 Android apps are considered, they account for 61 percent of the time Android device users spend on apps. That means the rest of the nearly 250,000 Android apps available have to compete for the remaining 39 percent of users’ time spent on apps.

Continue Reading: The Plight of the Android App Wallflowers →

Froyo, Gingerbread Get Full Frontal Flash

Adobe announced Monday that its Flash Player 10.2 update is now available on Android Market. The update’s a production release for Android 2.2 and 2.3 but an initial beta release for Android 3.0.1. That news may impact the Motorola Xoom, as it runs Android 3.0 aka "Honeycomb." Android 3.0.1 is Honeycomb with the latest Google updates.

Continue Reading: Froyo, Gingerbread Get Full Frontal Flash →

Critics Poke Holes in Android vs. iPhone Browser Test

The browser in Google’s Android mobile operating system is more than 50 percent faster than the browser found in Apple’s iOS, according to company Blaze.io. Blaze tested the embedded browsers in Android 2.3 and iOS 4.3. These were WebView and UIWebView, respectively. The tests were conducted against websites of Fortune 1,000 corporations.

Continue Reading: Critics Poke Holes in Android vs. iPhone Browser Test →

Who Are the FOSS Police?

More than 70 percent of mobile applications containing open source code fail to comply with basic open source license requirements, OpenLogic claims. The company scanned compiled binaries and source code where available for the top paid and free Android and iOS apps in the business and consumer sectors.

Continue Reading: Who Are the FOSS Police? →

Fixing the Fragmented Face of Android

Android 3.0, aka "Honeycomb," took center stage at Wednesday’s AnDevCon keynote address, and LinuxInsider joined about 200 Android developers in a small room at the Marriott Hotel in San Mateo, Calif., to listen in. Presenters Chet Haase and Romain Guy of Google explained some things about the Honeycomb operating system and demoed some of its features using a Motorola Xoom tablet while trading quips.

Continue Reading: Fixing the Fragmented Face of Android →

Motorola Revs Up Devs at Android Conference

A small conference room at the San Mateo Marriott Hotel in San Mateo, Calif., was packed to overflowing for the keynote speech Tuesday from Christy Wyatt, a Motorola corporate vice president, at AnDevCon 2011. About 300 people squeezed into the room, forcing hotel staff to bring in some chairs and some attendees to liberate seating from nearby rooms.

Continue Reading: Motorola Revs Up Devs at Android Conference →